O Tannenbaum... O Tannenbaum...
Christmas time is here! Hessen (my state) is unusually cold this December. I was told several times that we wouldn't see snow before Christmas. SURPRISE! I believe the Hessen-natives when they say that it shouldn't've snowed... but it was an awesome experience. With some luck, we'll have a White Christmas... but I am not counting on it. The percent stands at only 50%. Today, it warmed up from -11° (12) over the weekend to 4° (39°) during the day. Everywhere you go there is a slushy, wet mess. If it gets colder, there will be ice all over the place.
So... what has been up the past month I haven't written...
I am still working at the Staatstheater. It is still a really good time and I love attending rehearsals. I am only staying until the middle/end of January. Although I would love to remain there, I really need to experience a few other things, like I promised myself I would, so that next year I can really make a more informed decision when it comes to a college major.
College applications are due soon.
I have started giving English tutoring to a kid I went to school with. With some luck others will see him doing amazing and ask me to help them too. It's a good time, I like it, and I earn a little pocket money. Win-win situation. My lesson plans involve fixing sentences with mistakes with grammar, or more importantly word choice/word order, learning slang, and improving pronunciation.
Being in Germany for so long has made me realize how happy I am to have English as my native language. I love that I can perfectly and effortlessly pronounce "th" and know the difference between the "th" in "the" and in "theater." While many study English all over the world and most, especially in Germany, have a very good grasp and understanding of it, it really is a language that gives the non-native speakers away VERY quickly. In Germany I can get away for a few minutes and have people think I actually am German... when I have to say three or four sentences as an answer to a question is when they realize that I am not. English learners really have a harder time in my opinion. Granted, German grammar will NEVER make sense to you unless you are German. You can study it all you want, and with study and, with lots of LUCK, get it right, which I manage to do probably 50% of the time, but I don't think it actually just comes natural to anyone but a German.
WEIHNACHTSMARKT!!!
The Christmas Markets in Germany are wonderful. They are such a good time and in December they are the place to be. People set up little shops selling candies, food and knick-knacks. While most are garbage, similar to what you could buy at a fair in America, there are some stands which sell things you really only see once a year. I love potato pancakes (Reibekuchen). I ate so many big, fatty Reibekuchen... be still my heart... literally. I went to the Market in Frankfurt. Tons of people, music, food, candy, and Glühwein... oh, also it was -12°!!!!!
Glühwein is the favorite drink at a Weihnachtsmarkt. Basically, it is a spiced, heated wine. If you are lucky, you get a little piece of orange slice in it. Ok, I need to be honest, the first time I drank it... I was like... "What is this shit? This doesn't taste good." The steam coming out of the mug is concentrated alcohol. Sometimes I cough while trying to drink because I can't breathe. However, when you drink it 4 or 5 times, the flavor grows on you. I enjoyed the third through fifth mugs.
Everything is lit up nice and pretty. You are tempted to buy lots of things that no one really needs but would make someone happy to open and thereafter place directly into storage. Some people have really stupid ideas for stands. For example... a wallet stand. "Thank Baby Jesus! I waited all year so I could buy some faux-leather wallets at the Weihnachtsmarkt for 10€! Here they are! Give me 20!" No one does that. There is also always a small merry-go-round of some sort for children. It sounds like a fair, but it really is a little different. You have to experience it for yourself.
I am excited to celebrate a German Christmas! Tomorrow we are putting up our Christmas Tree. The Germans do it late and leave it up until Three Kings' Day (Jan. 6th, which my family has also always done at home anyway) First comes Dec. 24th, in German: Heiligabend. Family gets together and the kids get their presents on this evening. Then the 25th and 26th are called First and Second Christmas Days. Basically, you spend the days at home or visiting family or very close friends. The goal is to gain a few kilograms.
That's it for now! I will put pictures up on Facebook soon, or if you check back, a few will be here on the blog as well!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home