Monday, October 26, 2009

Switzerland: Magical Nation of Cows, Mountains, Snow, Chocolate and Near-death Experiences

Switzerland is easily the prettiest place in the world. Having only been to a few countries in Europe, I am of course assuming and exaggerating. It is really and truly beautiful and breathtaking anyway. My host family owns a one room apartment (kind of like a really nice hotel room) in southern Switzerland. Thankfully, the people in this region speak German and not French. However, unless you have magic powers, or were born in Switzerland, you can't understand Swiss German. It sounds like the people are constantly singing and speaking at the same time. It's a song to which no one really knows all the words.

Driving in the mountains is not something I would ever do alone. I spent most of the time in the car being afraid of falling off of cliffs. I fell asleep in the car on the way there, on the ground, where it's safe. I woke up to a very dimly-lit Swiss town and the car was driving along a bridge. My host dad said, "Good, you're up! We're about to drive up." Before I knew it, we were weaving up a mountain at what felt like a hundred miles an hour. The road only has room for one car. If you encounter a car driving in the opposite direction, you have to play a little game of "Maneuver Your Car Carefully So No One Dies." Sometimes there is a guard rail. Sometimes there isn't. Even when there is one though... I get the feeling it wouldn't stop a bicyclist from going over the edge.

The view from my host parents' apartment is beyond amazing. If you're a religious person, it is one of those views that really settles your thoughts and you can't help thinking, "God really does exist and really is this great." Just as cool as the views is the amount of cows that live in Switzerland. Sure, you can see cows grazing on the side of Highway 50 on the way into Orlando... but they are boring. Why are they boring? They don't climb mountains, wear giant bells, or beat the crap out of each other in organized town events. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see one of these epic cow battles, which occur naturally, as the cows always want to establish Alpha Females. We are going back in March to see some cow-fights.


I haven't seen snow since I was seven. I got to in Switzerland. It was awesome. We wanted to actually go hiking in the mountains, but the snow blocked the path. We drove the car until it couldn't pass through the snow on the road. My host dad wanted to push it though. The car really did swerve, but he never lost control. I, however, don't trust the Mercedes Station Wagon built sometimes in the 80s as much as he does. I got out. I never realized it before, but I guess I am afraid of being in a car as it drives off of a mountain. Imagine that...
The air feels cleaner in Switzerland. It is, of course. It is refreshing. You can drink from the tap with no worries. It is a beautiful place. I wouldn't live there. I hate driving on mountains. It takes FOREVER.
Check out the rest of my pictures on Facebook if you're interested! I highly recommend Switzerland as a vacation spot to EVERYONE!
I just got finished watching the craziest TV show. It is called "Bauer Sucht Frau" or "Farmer Seeks Wife." Rather than American TV dating shows, like the Bachelor, this show features people who are less than ideal looking, but still want someone to marry. And, yes, the contestants are all actually real farmers. Also, "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" is still popular here (Wer wird Millionär?). It is just as exciting as it was in the late 90s/early 00s. I wish it were still on Primetime in the USA.
I only have one more week of school. Then I will have a two month long internship with the Staatstheater Darmstadt! I am so excited!

1 Comments:

At October 27, 2009 at 5:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! gorgeous views!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home