Cultural Observations I
What?! Two posts in one day?! (Technically two, because here it is already past midnight... but whatever!) This is crazy, right?
I have been meaning to post this for a while, but I haven't had the chance... and feel like writing it now. This is a serious, yet mostly funny, list of observations I've made of European culture (German in particular). I hope to write more, as more becomes apparent, so I've titled this "Cultural Observations I." I don't want to spread stereotypes with this. This is merely a collection of my personal observations, and when one sees or experiences things several times (in many cases everyday) one tends to assume it is a cultural habit.
Things Germans like:
P.D.A. (Public Display of Affection) - I thought that Americans were pros at this. However, I've come to find that Germans, while in public usually reserved, have no fear whatsoever in making out spur of the moment. Often, it can be in a somewhat awkward or inconvenient place. For example, I was in Frankfurt a few weeks ago, and a couple decided that they absolutely had to snog against an ATM. I needed money. I walked away and went back later. Thankfully, they had finished. Of course this can happen in America. However, I've seen more people lip-locked in restaurants, train/bus station/stops, and on the street here in Germany than I have ever in the U.S.
Bread - German bread is really, really good. I have been privileged to live, even though for a short time, in one of the places in America where people still know how to make bread. Florida is cursed with shitty bread. No way around it. Humidity = blech. I estimate there are about one million different kinds of German bread. Some of them are weird, but most are good.
Open-faced sandwich - Sure, Germans enjoy sandwiches just as much as their American pals. But, especially for breakfast, I've found that Germans would rather eat a slice of cheese, meat, or a spread of Nutella or jam on only one slice of their sometimes crazy-ass bread. Almost always, they start with a layer of butter. "Layer" probably isn't a strong enough word to describe the amount of butter they like. There is usually more butter than meat/cheese/whatever else. I find that a little gross, but I do it sometimes... with much, much less. Also, often they need to physically hold the meat/cheese on the bread to keep it from falling off while they eat this open faced sandwich. An intervention is in order.
Shelf toilets - Many toilets here are so called "shelf" toilets. I don't understand the point. Sure, you use a little less water... but Germans need to take a step back and ask themselves... is it really worth it? http://jingalex.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/toilet_bowl.jpg
There... you take a look for yourself... and you decide. Notice the toilet brush next to the toilet. This is in EVERY German bathroom, especially those with shelf toilets. Germans are particular about cleaning everything up.
Nutella - Germans love Nutella... end of story. Their Nutella is thicker than American or French Nutella, according to a documentary I've seen. The reason for this is that German bread is stronger than French or American breads.
Random cake and tea time - There is often a call for cake, tea, and coffee at random points in the day. It doesn't happen everyday, so it is not like English tea time. Only sometimes. I never know when it is going to strike.
Speaking English - Germans love to impress English speakers if they have reasonable control over our language. I think it's great. There is no reason why American students don't study either French, Spanish, Italian or German starting in elementary school. It doesn't take much, just to start when we're younger. Sometimes, a German will hear you are American, and want to practice their English with you. I just answer them in German until they switch back.
Cucumber salad - This is something very stereotypical I think. I first learned about cucumber salad in German I class, four years ago. I thought to myself, "That sounds nice... I love cucumbers. I bet I'll like that." Little did I know, four years later, I'd be living in Germany, where Cucumber Salad is one of the major food groups all by itself, along with Bread, Nutella, Döners, Cake, Coffee, and more Bread. I love it, don't get me wrong. But it is HILARIOUS that I can bet my life on the fact that I'll be eating cucumber salad again tomorrow.
Pause - Germans are totally into taking breaks from things. This is best displayed in the school, where there are (at least at my school) three breaks or Pause per day. Work hard, break hard.
Smoking - Approximately 98.9% of Germans smoke cigarettes. Of those who don't, about 100% of them used to smoke cigarettes. During their Pause kids at my school either eat an open-faced sandwich, or smoke. There are signs that say not to smoke on school grounds... and most teachers enforce it. There are some teachers though, that kids can walk up to and say hey to while holding a lit cancer stick in their hand.
Trains - Germany is a land connected east to west, north to south, everywhere in between, by trains. As my host dad says, "You may have to wait or ride a few hours, but you can get anywhere in Germany by train."
More to come dealing with Germans and their culture! Stay tuned!


1 Comments:
Chris, I love your posts! I find them amuzing and informative at the same time, they're just plain fun to read! Don't stop blogging!
Kevin R.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home